Keep Up To Date!
NHS activities are updated on a Google Calendar that is shared with all members. From your Google login, select "calendar." If it is not already visible in your calendars, you can search for NHS calendar. In addition, connect with NHS through Twitter. Tweets are sent out to remind members of events and to announce new events.
Membership in the National Honor Society is determined by the following factors:
- Maintain the required 3.50 GPA
- Earn 40 hours of approved community service in NHS sponsored community service
- Participate in group fund-raising projects
- Attend monthly meetings
- Demonstrate the same level of conduct required for admission.
The following is a timeline of events for induction and participation in the National Honor Society:
- In August juniors and seniors receive an invitation to apply to NHS with a letter delivered at school.
- In September, applications are due to the NHS sponsor who checks and verifies the information on each application.
- In October, students are informed via letter delivered at school of their acceptance or rejection into the National Honor Society.
- In November, the induction ceremony takes place and students are officially welcomed into the National Honor Society.
Attendance Policy for meetings
- A maximum of 2 monthly meetings can be missed during the academic year, regardless if excused or not excused.
- Induction Ceremony must be attended by all members and inductees.
- Any attendance issues will be addressed by Sponsor(s).
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities Sponsored by NHS (In-Club Hours)
Hillcrest Charities Child Care
Hillcrest Charities needs your help. Hillcrest is a 90 day transitional housing program for homeless families in the community. They provide the instruction and accountability for each family to reach self-sufficiency and move into a place of their own. Each Monday evening, from 6pm-8pm, Hillcrest host two classes for their clients. These classes are Life Skills and Community Living. Adults (typically parents) are required to attend. So that the adults can give their full attention to the speaker and topic, they provide childcare to the families during this time. Hillcrest is in need of energetic and fun individuals to play with, entertain, and watch carefully over the children at Hillcrest during this two hour block each and every Monday. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Rachel Hollinberger at (816) 781-8988 or by email: email@example.com
Our Kids Zone program is open for extend hours for care on early release days during the school year. On these days we get the kids 3 to 2 hours early than normal. We do plan activities for the kids but we can always use more hand on deck during that time. Early release days depend on what times the elementary schools get out. Manor Hill gets out at 12:20 and the latest school around 2:30. We are open some days that are closed for school, those days we are at Shoal Creek Elementary. Those days we have special field trips and activities. Those are the days we can really use all hands on deck. We range anywhere from 250- 400 children. Full days hours are 6:30 in the morning to 6:00 when we close. We do have more days for instance the whole week during Spring Break we have the 12 hour days. Contact Shayanna Troncin directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested!!
Volunteers are called to shovel driveways on days with heavy snow. To sign-up, contact Mr. Coffman.